Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Miniature Swing Set in 1:4 (MSD) scale
FIRST OFF. NO TUTORIAL. NO PLANS. If ever I do come up with some (if that is at all possible with my attention span), it would be a paid one anyway, cos it is a lot of work. THAT IS ALL.
I don't have a fixed way of doing stuff, seeing as how plenty of improvisation is necessary (mostly cos I mess up. A. LOT.), it all starts with a vague idea of what has to be done, vague measurements based on my favourite numbers, a cursory glance at google images, and powered by very little patience and a whole lot of tenacity.....it starts off.....
like this. YUH USELESS CRAP. I CANNOT DRAW TO SAVE MY LIFE. laugh at my primary school long division method, but yes, i'm even too pre-occupied to reach for my phone-calculator. :(
so. off to google.....and .....nada. I wanted something foldable thinking I could bring it out.....*manic laughter* SO MUCH FOR THAT. HOWEVER!!! it did throw up something interesting:
So. Since I have no fancy-shmancy woodworking tools nor a laser cutter *whines* I decided to wing it and modify it as I made it up in my head.....
so I fudged up the chair bit, totally forgot that I had mentally made an earlier modification to it and only a few mins after I glued down the final planks, did I remember. :( By that time, it was near impossible to rip off the support planks without damaging it, and so,
NOTE TO SELF: PLEASE REMEMBER TO REVERSE THE SUPPORT BEAMS KTHXBYE
so it is a fixed-seat rather than a portable one SIGH. ANYWAY. if you don't understand what the above was about, no worries, cos this isn't meant to help anyone but myself HAWHAW *miserable groan*
they're really fidgety and slippery though. takes quite a bit to work with. as for the loop holding up the seat, it's actually a headpin wedged between the two support beams.
if you're wondering what angles I used for the support, the 2 base angles are at 70 deg. eh. my fave number is 7, go figure. the hardest part was getting the damned swing level. ON MY UN-LEVEL TABLE. which I'd forgotten was, unlevel, that is. things went much smoother after I set it on the floor :-/ =_=""""
The whole contraption is about 40cm tall x 10inches x 28cm deep. I told you, I make do and make things up as I go along T-T Enforced every single glued section with pins. There's a technical term for this which evades me.....HALP!
All in all, pretty pleased with it. Waiting for the glue to dry for 24 hrs before I give it a coupla coats of wood varnish :)
(please excuse the manic tone, back from my weekly swim and the MONSTER MUNCHIES IS DRIVING ME NUTS) HORMONES RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
p.s. OH YA only suffered 1 injury, forgot my thumb isn't impervious to pins.....lanced it and stupid thing took ages to stop bleeding, so I spent a number of minutes with my arm above my head this morning GYAAAA.